Mary Prince was born into slavery and a few years later she was separated from her family. Which is really horrifying to learn the truth of what these slaves had to face. Through her perspective, she tells the readers about the harsh treatment she receives from both her masters and mistresses. Mary Prince, living a tragic life story of being a slave deriving from her homeland to land she forced to call home. The History of Mary Prince is not only important for its demonstration of human suffering and the legal history, The narrative recited by Mary Prince has a clear purpose.

Slaves as Human Beings or Animals? “Philippa, this is your future husband” my father gestured to Jacob, I was in disgusted “But father, I’m already enaged to Prince Arthur since birth from one of your ridiculous deals when you were drunk!” I said in a furious tone, I was not going to be engaged with Jacob, Prince even goes onto say ‘He did not flog me that day.’ this seems highly unusual as most runaways were harshly punished by their masters as an example to other slaves, of the consequences, of running away. Sandra Paquet argues that ’social and religious prohibitions surrounding sexually explicit material in nineteenth century Britain and legal liabilities attached to the publication of such tracts placed further constraints on Mary Prince’s individual voice.’ Thomas Pringle being part of the Evangelical movement was fully aware that middle aged white Christian housewives would not want to read about sexual abuse as this would have been distasteful and black slave women already had a reputation for being sexually promiscuous so this would have discredited Prince as a witness. Notable authors such as Frederick Douglass and Linda Brent capture their audience with undebatable authenticity. In the introduction to The History of Mary Prince, editor Thomas Pringle asserts that "The idea of writing Mary Prince's history was first suggested by herself." We could take into consideration the use of language as Prince states she was not flogged ‘that day’ perhaps meaning the punishment came later but in order to keep the momentum of the story moving along the memory was cut short upon editing. She responds angrily, asking how slaves could be happy being separated from their families, sold off like beasts, and subjected to inhumane violence.

She then questions how these English people could “act in such a beastly manner” when they go to the West Indies (93). Even today, many people believe that women still do not have the equality that should to be given to them. We are able to gain knowledge of these very critiques by the first-hand accounts of Mary Prince in the narrative The History of Mary Prince and From the Darkness Cometh the Light by Lucy Delaney. She explains that they do not mind the work, they just want “proper treatment”, “proper wages”, and “proper time” allotted for religious observance (94). Essay. Prince aspired for her story to be told from her own mouth, so that “the good people in England might hear from a slave what a slave had felt and suffered” making sure to include the most heartbreaking and gruesome details (55). He smiled at me and as trained to be polite I smiled back at him. The British West Indies were horrifying yet gave strength to Equiano and Prince within their experiences as slaves. Written primarily in the 1840s and 1850s, slave narratives revealed the struggles that southern slaves faced such as poor living conditions, working conditions, and excessive punishment and abuse. Although all of Prince's owners are men, Prince focuses on the brutal beatings that the women pressed upon her.