So I placed a buy limit order for 20 shares at $261.70. Hello, i'm having trouble with limit orders and i'm not sure if it's me doing something wrong or what. I'm setting the limit price higher than the stock price, so shouldn't it fill quickly since it can be sold for more than what it is worth. Press J to jump to the feed. Sounds like you dont have real time quotes. Ps, pretty sure trailing stops don't work at all in paper trading regardless of settings. Worst case scenario, use a market order. 1. Press J to jump to the feed.

Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The Unofficial Subreddit for ThinkorSwim. Suspect the price was jumping all over the place. Papermoney shows 15 minute old data and executes against current data. log in sign up.

The odds of TOS making a mistake are close to zero.

LIMIT orders won’t always get filled if price jumped too fast. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Posted by 5 months ago. Also, remember MARK is just mid between bid and ask, it does NOT mean that there was a transaction at that price. Take a look at the nat price. It’s likely because you don’t have real time quotes. Well it doesn't fill at all and then the stock price changes so i have to change the price of the limit order and it's frustrating. Quick question about why limit orders not being filled. Markets have moved up in that 20 min time.

Does someone know why this was happening or is there anyone that can help me figure this out. Couple things you can try. In my case, that didn't seem to happen. The solution is an account reset or app restart. I don't quite understand.

Also paper money fills orders prematurely because it’s just for learning the platform, not for testing strategies. If it still isn't filling, and everything else seems ok (volume ok), that is definitely a bug. If the stock price is 2.50 and I set a limit order for 100 shares at 2.53, shouldn't that fill quicker? Quick question about why limit orders not being filled. TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NYSE: AMTD) is the owner of TD Ameritrade Inc. Services offered include common and preferred stocks, futures, ETFs, option trades, mutual funds, fixed income, margin lending, and cash management services. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the thinkorswim community. Cookies help us deliver our Services.

Natural price. 1. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. What am I missing? More posts from the thinkorswim community. I'm paper trading to get familiar with the platform but this is a huge obstacle. ThinkorSwim is owned by TD Ameritrade, TD Ameritrade is an American online broker based in … Press J to jump to the feed. User account menu. I'm not sure if I'm staring at the right columns but was advised before if Mark gets above Price, the Limit order "by right" should get filled. Maybe use a real account with a super small amount of shares on a cheap stocks to see how the platform behaves in the real market. AKA Robots are our friends! Until they decide to wipe us out. paper trading , especially in TOS, doesn't always work, and never executes EXACTLY as it should in really trading. Why would you set a buy limit order higher than the price?

Welcome any advice... Its doesn't guarantee it will fill, there are other orders there that might fill first and you don't get filled. LIMIT orders won’t always get filled if price jumped too fast. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. If i try to buy a stock using a limit order and set the limit price higher than the underlying, i would think the order would fill right away. TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NYSE: AMTD) is the owner of TD Ameritrade Inc. Services offered include common and preferred stocks, futures, ETFs, option trades, mutual funds, fixed income, margin lending, and cash management services. You need to look at the Nat price on the bottom of the order ticket, if it hits that price it will likely fill. That's what i tried to do, the order never gets filled, I was trying to trade during regular hours and it wouldn't fill but now that it is after hours, i have tried using the EXT and the order still doesn't want to fill. tl;dr there is a logical error why this did not fill. Hello, i'm having trouble with limit orders and i'm not sure if it's me doing something wrong or what. It took me like 10 minutes to try and buy several shares of a stock today and the only reason the order went through was because i accidently bought at market price and was instantly down several hundred dollars. Later, after being up several hundred dollars, I couldn't sell the stock using a limit order or a market order. The Unofficial Subreddit for ThinkorSwim. I set the limit order price 50% higher than the stock price and i still can't get it to go through. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Close. Strangely, when I did that in Paper Trade, it's filled almost instantly for any expiry, and at any spread. You need a funded live account, and need to request from TOS support to have real time quotes enabled manually for your papertrading. On options, a wide bid/ask spread on stocks under $800 is a fo sho warning you may run into this problem getting filled open/close. Press J to jump to the feed. ThinkorSwim is owned by TD Ameritrade, TD Ameritrade is an American online broker based in Omaha, Nebraska. Screenshot.

You're in paper work delayed quotes. TD Ameritrade API vs. Thinkorswim For Placing Orders. The current price is at $261.37, so shouldn't my order be filled immediately since the current price is better than the limit I set?

Of course, a stray gamma particle from a distant galaxy could "theoretically" cause an error, the odds are slim, however. This. ThinkorSwim is owned by TD Ameritrade, TD Ameritrade is an American online broker based in Omaha, Nebraska. Give TOS a call and ask for real-time data. I can't trade if my orders aren't being filled. TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NYSE: AMTD) is the owner of TD Ameritrade Inc. Services offered include common and preferred stocks, futures, ETFs, option trades, mutual funds, fixed income, margin lending, and cash management services. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Certain quotes might pull the pricing around. You know the market closes at 4pm ET right? You'll be filled at your limit or below. Just buy it at market if you want it. It's all software-driven. And your order would fill at the same exchange and that Mark it the mid between the Level 1 for each leg. I wouldn't normally do that but i wanted to see if it would fill and it didnt. Hi everyone, I see a lot of complaints and comments about how thinkorswim lags during the first minutes of the market open, and that makes getting orders filled in a timely manner very unreliable. Cause extended trading doesn’t work. If you want the stock badly, offer more than the current price. Well it doesn't fill at all and then the stock price changes so i have to change the price of the limit order and it's frustrating. You need to look at the Nat price on the bottom of the order ticket, if it hits that price it will likely fill. More posts from the thinkorswim community.

LAST is the only previous place that actual transaction occurred. The orders get processed in real time, but the quotes are like 30 minutes delayed, so you’re likely not acting on relevant data. If i try to buy a stock using a limit order and set the limit price higher than the underlying, i would think the order would fill right away. ThinkorSwim is owned by TD Ameritrade, TD Ameritrade is an American online broker based in Omaha, Nebraska.