They did not mistreat us, and the whole times we were out in the fields near them nothing was missing. he forgives Nabal for objecting to extortion, and. Who is this son of Jesse?

When your shepherds were with us, we did not mistreat them, and the whole time they were at Carmel nothing of theirs was missing. If they do not, then they do not know God. She acknowledged that David was protected by God. "Thriving with Chronic Illness", This site is a proud member of the Salem Web Network, a subsidiary of, Copyright © 2020, Crosswalk.com. In the later years of king Saul's reign of Israel, he fought continuously with David and his army. And when the LORD has dealt well with my lord, then remember your handmaid.”, 32 And David said to Ab’igail, “Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me! Read about more of the fascinating women of the Bible, Daily Life – Prayer – Paintings – Books of the Bible – Bible Paintings. He sends his servants (he does not go himself since he would almost certainly have been killed by Nabal’s clansmen) to ask Abigail to marry him. She met David, a handsome, ambitious bandit, and decided she wanted something more than Nabel could give her…. Women are taught to respect their men, as they respect God. In the Abigail story, David, the potential king, is seen as increasingly strong and virtuous, whereas in the Bathsheba story, the reigning monarch shows his flaws ever more overtly and begins to lose control of his family. She is a woman of high socioeconomic status, by virtue of Nabal, whereas David, not yet king, is an outlaw on the run. And let this gift, which your servant has brought to my lord, be given to the men who follow you.

His name was Nabal and his wife’s name was Abigail.

The holidays should be a time for giving, not spending. And as she came riding her donkey towards David and his men, she met him with honor and respect for how he had cared for her people.

29 If men rise up to pursue you and to seek your life, the life of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of the living in the care of the LORD your God; and the lives of your enemies he shall sling out as from the hollow of a sling. So what will you do this Thanksgiving to channel a bit of Abigail? without becoming difficult yourself! Yet these men were very good to us. Women in Scripture.

Map showing location of events in David’s life. And this has happened in every religion I have ever studied. Nabal dies of rage when he learns about Abigail’s theft.

Nabal’s answer to David was just plain mean. One is that his wife had betrayed him by giving away the food that Nabal himself refused to give.

This was not all of his men. David does not shrink from extorting money from his own countrymen, or from raiding neighbouring Philistine villages where he slaughters all the men, women and children and loots their village. As we are faithful to His word and His leadership, God can do in just a moment what may take years to work through by ourselves. Now think it over and see what you can do, because disaster is hanging over our master and his whole household. Who is this son of Jesse? Her beauty and her flattery – and the sight of the food – win David over. Read about the woman Sheerah who built a city! Don’t be stingy with your stuffing. Why? (1 Samuel 25:1-3). Abigail is the mother of David’s second son, Chileab (2 Sam 3:3; Daniel, according to 1 Chr 3:1), born in Hebron. He explains that he  would go to Nabal himself, if only her husband were not likely to get angry at this suggestion. I’m sure the servants loved her! She also knew David was the anointed king of Israel (1 Samuel 25:30). Check out this related article: Inspiring Bible Stories about David, Resource – The Holy Bible, King James Version, eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'whatchristianswanttoknow_com-leader-2','ezslot_11',123,'0','0']));Tagged as: Who Was Abigail in the Bible? Men are taught to love their wife as their own body.

“God loves each of us as if there were only one of us"- Augustine, Copyright © 2010-2020 Telling Ministries LLC. David heard the news and immediately proposed to Abigail. He says that since David’s followers have refrained from attacking the shepherds or stealing their flocks, Nabal ought to pay for the favour. Her father probably chose Nabal for his beautiful daughter because he was filthy rich. He is fighting for you right now, even when it’s hard to see the full, big picture. I don’t know that we can answer that definitively, but we do know that Abigail’s response was the proper one. Say to him: ‘Long life to you! May you be blessed for your good judgment and for keeping me from bloodshed this day and from avenging myself with my own hands.” (1 Samuel 25:32-33). Find her also on Twitter and at her blog www.debbiemcdaniel.com. You will make mistakes. The Bible says that this man was mean-spirited and evil in the way he conducted business.

All the abuse she had to tolerate because she's a woman, inferior. Then David said, “It’s been useless—all my watching over this fellow’s property in the wilderness so that nothing of his was missing.

25:2).In return for “protecting” Nabal’s property, David requested a gift of provisions.

She is mentioned a few other times in scripture, but not with as much detail as is found in this main chapter. Nabal would have known very well who David was even though he claimed to not know about David and his band of men (1 Samuel 25:10). But we also know that Samuel lost trust in Saul and favoured the young David instead. 39 When David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, “Blessed be the LORD who has avenged the insult I received at the hand of Nabal, and has kept back his servant from evil; the LORD has returned the evil-doing of Nabal upon his own head.”, Then David sent and wooed Ab’igail, to make her his wife. Location of Adullam, where David and his followers lived in a cave. But I do know how to make others feel welcome. All of them, including David, behave badly: a reminder that the Jewish Scriptures often describe people as they are, not as they should be. David has written 207 articles on What Christians Want To Know! What were abigails options as a rich widow if she didn’t wish to remarry?

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail, Previous post: How to Start a Prison Ministry, Next post: How To Accept God’s Agenda In Your Life. Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. What does the Bible say about Abigail? This was certainly a generous offering. David, Nabal and Abigail. Abigail leaves David and goes to her husband Nabal – to tell him what she has done? Her husband is just the opposite: mean and churlish. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. Last year, I made coleslaw with pineapple, sunflower seeds, and Cool Whip. Nabal was a very wealthy man but is also described as “surly and mean in his dealings” (1 Samuel 25:3). He called David a slave, when in reality he was King Saul’s son-in-law. I encourage you to be your own kind of hostess, allowing God to lead your heart. She is one of many prophetic women who God used for his purposes. Generously serve without grumbling. Every hard worker feasted on the fruits (or mutton) of his labor. When considering how to host this Thanksgiving, you might be inspired by Abigail (who we read about in 1 Samuel 25). She probably also told him about the lavish gift she bestowed on David.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'whatchristianswanttoknow_com-leader-1','ezslot_7',120,'0','0'])); At hearing all this news the Bible says that Nabal’s heart died within him. Please pay no attention, my lord, to that wicked man Nabal. Her plea before David also reveals her understanding of the events of her own world. Here's What You Need to Know, 8 Ways Your Husband is Silently Showing He Loves You, 10 Unexpected Reasons for Infidelity in a Marriage. 1 Samuel 25:40-41 “And when the servants of David were come to Abigail to Carmel, they spake unto her, saying, David sent us unto thee, to take thee to him to wife. She remained faithful to Nabal and served him well. Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. But not Abigail.