I made it for a large dinner party and everyone cleaned their plate including those who had never eaten duck before. If the legs are not covered, you can top it off with some olive oil. If needed, add more lard. Cook, uncovered, at a very gently simmer, between 185 degrees and 195 degrees, for 2 hours. It still produced a fair amount of rendered duck fat which I strained and am using for duck fat potatoes to go with the duck. Mix together the ingredients for the cure. duck renders at least 1 cup of fat. The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount duck fat. Amount is based on available nutrient data. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition

You may leave the bones in or remove them. The best and most cost-effective way of making duck confit is to buy a whole duck. However this recipe leaves out a crucial step which this the final frying before serving - warm the jar until the fat melts so you can remove the meat pat it dry then put it in a frying pan over moderately high heat until the meat is crispy and golden.

Put the duck in the pan, along with garlic, thyme and bay laves. After 2 hours, the duck confit will be very tender and will come easily off the bone. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Arrange the pieces so that they're all submerged. Trim any excess skin and fat from the legs and save for rendering. Make sure there is room at the top of the container. It makes a great gift for friends and family. I adapted this recipe to my sous vide setup by cooking at 175F for 24 hours.

for more information. Confit duck is a marvellous make-ahead dish. Arrange the duck legs skin side down in the dish.

Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Put the stockpot over a medium heat on the hob.

0.8 g Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the skin is crisp. Remove the duck legs from the fat and place them in a roasting tin. Thank you honey. Cook, partially covered, at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the skin from sticking. Seal and allow to come to room temperature. Remove the duck legs from the marinade.

The caramel color makes it more appetizing and keeps the skin on each piece better. I will definitely do this recipe every year. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. After cooking, the confit duck can be cooled and stored, covered in the fat, in an airtight container in the fridge.

If you are rendering the fat from a whole duck yourself, first pull all the fat away from the body, then joint the duck. Leave it, uncovered, for several hours until the fat has rendered down to a clear liquid. Put the fat into a heavy-based saucepan with about 50ml water and place over a very low heat. PREPARE THE DUCK: Cut the legs and each breast half from the duck. If you want to store the duck legs for longer, transfer them to a container such as a sterilised Kilner jar or earthenware pot. After about 1 1/2 hours, the skin will be a deep golden in color and crisp, meaning it has rendered almost all of its fat.

Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting. Allow to cool, then cover with cling film before putting on the lid and refrigerating. Gently heat the fat you are using in a stockpot until it is liquid. Place the duck legs in the rendered fat, making sure they are completely covered. I also made this recipe with turkey thighs and it was a big hit - people who hated dark meat before couldn't get enough - I served it with Harry and David's cranberry relish.

A 4.5 lb. PREPARE THE DUCK: Cut the legs and each breast half from the duck. Here, the balance is tipped in the opposite direction. Salt is used too, but in the form of a very light cure that seasons more than it preserves. If you are rendering the fat from a whole duck yourself, first pull all the

When required, it is freed from its suspended animation in the solid fat, and given a quick, hot blast of cooking that crisps the skin. Normally curing relies on large quantities of salt; any fat present in the meat aids the curing process and enhances the flavour of the finished product. COOK THE DUCK: In a heavy, 1 1/2 qt saucepan, melt the rendered fat over low heat. Refrigerate for 24 hours to marinate. Season the duck legs with kosher salt on both sides.